This year we have 600 sqft of growing space at our local community garden. When I was first starting to garden, I wondered what are typical yields of a home gardener? Not yields for an experience commercial farmer with tons of pesticides, but the common man’s yields. Sadly gardening season is over now but here […]
Peeling tomatoes to make into pasta sauce can be messy business. Last year I peeled and stewed over 150 lbs of tomatoes from my garden into tomato sauce. Some of those tomatoes went into pasta sauce, others I made into salsa or left as diced tomatoes. I have experimented with removing the skins and will […]
by Lauren at Modern Self-Reliance When I was first learning to garden I read many articles that all started with “Grow tomatoes they are super easy!” Well, then reading more I also learned that for tomatoes you have need support because they will fall over and the tomatoes will rot. You need marigolds or prepare […]
- 6 Steps to Setting Up a New Garden Space
- My First 2017 Harvest + Blooming Vegetables
- Starting Seeds or Buying Transplants: Which is Better for Your Garden?
- Post-Vacation Garden Growth
- Preparing My Garden for Vacation: Community Garden Update
- My Community Garden Layout for Summer Success
- 10 Lessons Learned from Last Year’s Garden
- 3 Things to Consider when Starting Seeds Inside
- How Much to Plant to Feed Your Family
- Common Indoor Gardening Pests
- Construction Guide to Indoor Growing Systems
Enjoy our articles?
Subscribe to Modern Self-Reliance get our latest content by email.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.