I may earn a small commission from any link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support my work in bringing you real information about homesteading skills and preparedness.
Books We Recommend:
- Ball Blue Book: Guide to Preserving for water-bath and pressure canning
- EMP: Electromagnetic Pulse. Protect Your Family and Survive Long After the EMP by Lauren Kelley
- One Second After by William R. Forstrum (EMP fiction)
- Peterson Field Guides for plant identification
- Gardening When it Counts by Mother Earth News
- The Sage Soap Calculator for precise ratios of lye and oils
- Square Foot Gardening for minimum plant spacing by vegetable
- Urban Survival Site for preparedness and survival articles
- ThePrepperWebsite for preparedness articles + podcasts
- US Topographical Maps for geographic understanding (free)
- FEMA independent study training courses (free)
Community Resources for Learning:
- American Red Cross for First Aid Classes
- Boston Firearm School for FID/LTC
- Massachusetts Fish + Wildlife for Hunter Education classes
- Technical High Schools for carpentry, welding, automotive, electrical, plumbing etc
- Minuteman Technical High School
- Shawsheen Technical Institute (welding)
- Greater Lowell Technical School
- Tri-County Regional Vocational Technical High School (carpentry, welding, house framing)
- Blue Hills Regional Technical School (also offer a extreme couponing course?)
- The Steel Yard for blacksmithing, welding, and pottery
- Russ Cohen for foraging and edible plants (walking tours)
- Bee School for Beekeeping
- Fox Maple School in Maine for timber framing workshops
- The Milk Shanty for milking classes, homemade cheese/butter
- Northeast Organic Farming Association for various homesteading skills: cheese, foraging, permaculture, etc.
- Southeastern Massachusetts Agricultural Partnership for chickens, gardening/farming, wine tastings, etc.
- Local colleges for carpentry, welding , mountaineering, backpacking, ice climbing, etc
- I've had little luck with these, but maybe your colleges are different
- Your local library
- Your local Recreation Department
- Your local farmer's market
Enjoy our articles?
Subscribe to Modern Self-Reliance get our latest content by email.