We may earn a small commission from any link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support our work in bringing you real information about homesteading skills and preparedness.
Do you have left over apple scraps from making an apple pie or apple sauce? Don't toss them! Use them to make apple cider vinegar.
I will just call out the haters right now. Technically apple cider vinegar is made from apple cider (pressed apples), this is Apple Scrap Vinegar since it is made from apple scraps. However, the end product is very much the same so I will continue to call it Apple Cider Vinegar because that is the common name people use and know.
Steps to Make Apple Cider Vinegar
Step #1: Add apples.
Step #2: Add water and sugar.
Step #3: Add a weight.
Step #4: Wait 3-4 weeks.
Step #5: Strain + wait.
Step #6: Enjoy
Common Apple Cider Vinegar Questions:
- Can I make this with other fruits?
- Yes you can use other fruits like pears or peaches.
- Can I add a little ACV with the mothers to my apple scraps to help it ferment faster?
- Of course!
- Do I need to store it in the fridge?
- If you pasteurize it, then ACV can sit out just like the kind you buy at the store.
- However, if you leave it too long open and it is exposed to the air it will ferment past a use-able state and develop bad molds. Cover with an air tight lid at the very least if you plan to store at room temperature.
- What is the white stuff at the top of my ACV?
- That is called the Scoby and should not be disturbed, it is the yeast and bacteria turning the sugar to alcohol to vinegar.
- What is the black/red/pink stuff at the top of my ACV?
- This is bad mold, and the ACV can't be saved.
- Can I use other sugar besides white sugar?
- Yes, the yeast/bacteria need sugar to convert to alcohol. White sugar works the fastest, brown sugar or honey could be used but may take longer to convert.
- What do you use ACV for?
- Amazing Mozzarella at Home in 8 Easy Steps
- How to Peel Tomatoes for Smooth Pasta Sauce
- 10 Simple Steps to Making Cold Processed Soap (+2 Easy Recipes)
What do you use apple cider vinegar for? Have you ever made it yourself?
Enjoy our articles?
Subscribe to Modern Self-Reliance get our latest content by email.