We may earn a small commission from any link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support our work in bringing you real information about homesteading skills and preparedness.
Having all you family's important information gathered and in one place will save time. If you need to evacuate quickly, or have a medical emergency and quickly need to gather relevant documents, having them all in one place is very important. Here is a list of important information to gather:
- Birth certificate
- Social Security Number (card)
- Driver's license
- Credit Cards
- Debit Cards
- Bank Account Numbers
- 401k/IRA Information
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Home Insurance
- Car Insurance
- Primary Care Doctor
- Specialty Doctor (Physical therapist, OB-GYN, etc)
- Mortgage Paperwork
- Deeds/Titles (car, home, etc)
- Pictures of major purchases (computer, furniture, TV, cars, etc)
- History of medical issues (Including current medications)
- Emergency contacts
- Educational Transcripts and Degrees
- Vehicle Information (plate number, VIN, make, model, etc)
- Hunting education certificate/past hunting permits
- Gun registration
- License to Carry
It is a pain to gather all this information in one place, I know. But I also know how easy it is to reference the sheet quickly once it's created. All this information in one place is a great asset to your preparedness.
Important Information Storage
Electronic: Now that you have the information in a fancy Word Document, where do you store it? Electronic copies are great, but electronics can fail. Also store the information on multiple hard drives: your computer, USB thumb drive, back-up hard drive.
Hard copy: Paper copies are also important, if you can't get power for your devices. Keep a family binder with this important information in one handy place. I also keep a copy in my 72-Hr bag so I can grab and go.
What else do you keep in your family binder or reference sheet? Let us know below in the comments.
Enjoy our articles?
Subscribe to Modern Self-Reliance get our latest content by email.
Latest posts by Lauren (see all)
- Prepared Traveling: What to do When You Arrive - April 21, 2018
- 10 Things I Learned About Splitting and Felling with Axes - April 14, 2018
- How to Sprout Beans and Grains - April 7, 2018