We may earn a small commission from any link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support our work in bringing you real information about homesteading skills and preparedness.
The concept behind every day carry (EDC) items is always being prepared with the very basics. Nearly everyone these days checks for phone, wallet, keys before they leave the house. But there are other things you may want to consider bringing along in your pockets or purse.
Depending on your situation, some items may be harder to carry at all times. Some office places don’t allow knives or guns, so those items can’t be part of your every day carry plan. Some states allow pepper spray, but others don’t.
These small items aren’t meant to be a burden or weigh you down, they are just simple survival items to never leave home without.
How to Plan Your Everyday Carry Items
#1 Carrying Space.
Think about your bag, purse or pockets. How much space do you have for survival items?
#2 Your Expected Environment.
Think about your environment, what are possible emergencies that could happen there?
- Blizzards, flood, fire, terrorist attack, construction accidents, etc
#3 First Aid Items
What first aid items do you need and have space for?
- Band aides, wet wipes, bandana, etc
- 3 Extra Places for a First Aid Kit
What self-defense items do you feel comfortable using and are allowed to carry?
- Gun, knife, pepper spray, brass knuckles, etc
#5 Fire Making
What fire making supplies do you know how to use and could carry with you?
- Bic Lighter, Ferro rod, waterproof matches, etc
#6 Night-time Items
What general items would be handy to have at night?
#7 Day-time Items
What general items would be handy to have during the day?
- Sun screen, hat, bandana, sunglasses
#8 Important Information
What other items might be important?
- Emergency contacts, copy of passport, cash, etc
- 21 Important Pieces of Information to Gather for Your Family's Reference
Relax knowing you have the knowledge, skills and tools to survive the day with what you keep on your person.
What's in My Bag?
I carry a small messenger bag that is big enough to carry my lunch but not a laptop. It also holds nearly all my every day carry items.
- Wet wipes
- Sample sized lotion
- Ferro rod (or lighter)
- Flashlight (I recommend this one)
- knife (when not going to work, otherwise it is in my car) (I have this one)
- important information sheet (emergency contact #s, health insurance, etc)
- plastic sandwich-sized bags
- hand warmers
- phone (with cash inside the case)
On my person:
- durable shoes
The most important thing to carry with you is knowledge. You could lose all your supplies but if you carry the knowledge to make do with other things, or the knowledge on how to get around not having them you will be much better prepared. Knowledge can't be stolen from you.
What is in your every day carry? Thanks for reading.
Enjoy our articles?
Subscribe to Modern Self-Reliance get our latest content by email.
Latest posts by Lauren (see all)
- 6 Steps to Homemade Yogurt in Your Crockpot (+ GAPS Diet Friendly) - February 17, 2018
- 9 Preparedness Tips for the Office - February 10, 2018
- Class Review of Cheese-making Class at the Milk Shanty - February 3, 2018