We may earn a small commission from any link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support our work in bringing you real information about homesteading skills and preparedness.
What supplies should you keep in your car? What if you get a flat tire, get stranded in a ditch or see a disabled car on the breakdown lane?
This article outlines the major components of a car's preparedness assets.
35 Items to Put in Your Car Today
- spare tire
- tire air pump (like this one)
- tire wrench
- jumper cables (basic cables here)
- windshield wiper fluid
- ice scraper
- quart of oil
- complete change of clothes for each family member
- pair of boots + sneakers
- hat, scarf, mittens, gloves
- snow jacket
- snow pants
- shirt (long + short sleeve)
- underwear, socks
- diapers + wipes (if necessary) + small stuffed animal (for kid's morale)
- small general purpose shovel
- 2 regular blankets (you can never have enough blankets, even small ones like these)
- 1 heated blanket (I love mine!)
- bug spray
- knife (this knife has a seat-belt cutter and window-smashing end)
- GPS ( + charger)
- phone charger
- Protein bars (tasty non-melting ones)
- paper towels + wet wipes + tissues
- plastic bags (grocery bags)
- sleeping bag (a warm one like this one)
- 72-Hr Bag or Get Home Bag
The 72-Hr Bag
Don't have a 72-hr bag yet? learn about it here: 4 Steps to Building a Better 72-Hr Bag
Here are some elements that are especially important for the car.
- mylar emergency blankets
- fire items (lighters, candles, etc)
- MRE's (ready to eat foods)
- Medical kit (band-aids, wipes, etc) (pre-assembled one)
- glowsticks + flashlight
- spare batteries
- hand crack radio
- water bottle (my go-to bottle)
- work gloves
- duct tape
What do you keep in your car that you couldn't live without? Thanks for stopping by!
Hungry for more? Learn more: ----- 7 Core Principles for Surviving an EMP -----
Enjoy our articles?
Subscribe to Modern Self-Reliance get our latest content by email.
Latest posts by Lauren (see all)
- Class Review of Russ Cohen: Wild Plants I Have Known…And Eaten - December 9, 2017
- 10 Lessons Learned from Last Year’s Garden 2017 - December 2, 2017
- Amazon Cyber Monday Deals for Preppers - November 20, 2017